(insert content here? something like ‘ 9 reasons why you need to see paul verhoevens’ elle right now’…)
– 16th feature film by Dutchman Paul Verhoeven (Robocop, Turkish Delight, Basic Instinct etc)
-tis a film for adults. it examines/re-examines/ plays with themes and issues of female sexual desire, family ties, rape, revenge, childhood trauma, romance and workplace dynamics.
– His first film in ten years and his first in French.
– Film submitted to Cannes and Toronto Film Festivals and received positive notices.
– It is a provocative, challenging entertaining work. these need not be mutually exclusive aspects in a movie to be sure.
– It is an expertly crafted blend of character study, psychological thriller,romantic melodrama and social comedy.
– Isabelle Huppert is a force of nature in the title role,creating a compelling, complex protagonist; a Parisian career woman who is attacked and raped in her own home but refuses to become a victim.
– Verhoeven is 78 years old. He doesn’t give a f**k
– it is probably one of the films of the year? this is for you to decide should you wish.